Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Gay Marriage"

Not the issue, the term. Hence the quotes.

I understand the desire to have a simple term, but it surprises me that in this age of political correctness, no one has noted that this term technically excludes bisexuals. It is clearly not the intent, and I will accept that, but...well, show of hands if you've seen womyn (or another variant), or heard someone complain about 'man'ual labor (which comes from Latin manos, meaning hand, but that's rather my point).

I have yet to run across anyone talking about this. I haven't done particularly extensive research, but satire is one of my favorite genres, I frequent TV Tropes, I read news magazines, one would think I would have at least read some snark on it by now.

And it's particularly odd in that it's not like the black people/African-Americans, where the latter rules out blacks who aren't of African descent and living in America, not to mention being long. Same-sex marriage is a perfectly reasonable term, and is all of one syllable longer. It removes, simply by being used, any exclusion of bisexuals (or for that matter, asexual people who are romantically inclined towards people of the same gender--human sexuality is complex), and any Us and Them mindset.

Of course, something that bothers me more is that, despite actually being bisexual, it took me this long to think of this. What else am I missing?

Feel free to post some guesses in the comments section, along with whatever else.

Addictive Interestingness (TV Tropes)
Word Power

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009-2013 Taylor Hobart