Sunday, July 21, 2013

Cuddles and Break-ups (Or: Break-ups and Cuddles)

 A/N: Use of singular they.
 Further author's note: Written before I began going by Taylor. 
Trisha curled sleepily into Taylor's arms on the couch. "I think we should break up," Taylor said. "It wouldn't work."

Trisha nodded and hummed in agreement, then paused.

"Actually..." she said.

"Mm?" Taylor prompted. They had on their genuinely surprised face--which Trisha recognized as entirely distinct from their 'I was expecting this but surprise is the appropriate reaction' face.

"I...um." Trish took a breath, then let it out slowly. "I love you."

"I noticed," Taylor said, twirling Trisha's hair between their fingers.

Trisha took their hand in hers and held it. "I love you," she said seriously, eyes clear and focused on theirs. "And I want to be with you. And if you don't want to be with me, that's fine, but...I want to be with you. And I register my disagreement that we should break up."

There was a pause.

Taylor burst out laughing and Trish joined in. "Too much?"

"Yes," Taylor giggled uncontrollably. "Shall the chair recognize the floor?"

"Shut up," Trisha laughed back, swatting Taylor playfully.

"Okay, okay." Taylor calmed a bit. "I still think we need to break up. I can't do this."

Trisha nodded silently at the floor. Then, "Okay."

"Okay?"

"I don't like it. I wish it weren't so. But I would never keep you somewhere you didn't want to be." Trisha sighed. "Should I leave now? Or can we still cuddle?"

"Cuddles," Taylor said formally, "most definitively."

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2009-2013 Taylor Hobart